Saturday 1 December 2012

My First Custom - Marvel Select Hulk


Updated Completed Pictures.
WIP Pictures below











After practicing various painting techniques on a bootleg Savage Hulk, I thought I would finally try on an actual figure.
I purchased a Enlarged Face-Off Hulk, Open Mouth Variant from Glassman Custom and bought an additional Marvel Select Avengers Hulk.


Here is the head cast, next to a Toy Biz Twist'N Slam Hulk Head.

I realised that I will need some sculpting for it to fit on the MS Avengers Hulk


I used Tamiya Putty, Quick Type as I this creates a close fit for the peg on the neck and I didn't want to risk the peg getting stuck to the putty.

The hole was filled with the putty and I stuck the neck peg inside, twisted it around a bit to get a range of motion, and also kept moving it to make sure that it won't be bonded to the putty.
I also had to sculpt the side of the face so as to hide the neck better when it is on the figure's neck.

If you don't fill the original hole, the whole head would sit too low in the neck.



Here's a shot comparing the cast vs the MS Avengers Hulk head


I warm water to soak the neck and head and popped the head off

Here is a shot of the neck peg on the figure






Next, I primed the head using citadel abaddon black (Skipping the teeth and eyes) and dry brushed with Waaagh Flesh, Loren Forest, Straken Green. Then I mixed some Khorne red with some green and drybrushed the insides of the mouth. I also used a mixture of white + Khorne Red to give the eyes a slight pink in the eye whites.


Then I cleaned up the teeth with white paint and painted in the pupils.
Used Straken Green for the pupils as well.
I used a 2 part Straken Green and 1 part yellow to drybrush the face again to make the face closer to the color of the body

Then the whole head was sealed with Mr Hobby Topcoat Matt (Water Based)

Here's a pic after touch up and on the MS Figure. Haven't got round to prepping the body for repaint yet



Some Comparison shots with other Hulks. Red Hulk, MS Avengers Hulk, Face-Off Hulk




Some Pictures of Dismantling the body for sanding to prevent Paint Rub

This top Torso is made of rubber



Pictures of the 2 Arms


Some Shots of the Waist and Legs



The Complete Figure Disassembled


No comments:

Post a Comment